Your first step on the path to homeownership is to attend Home HeadQuarters' free, 60-minute HomeOwnership Orientation! Orientations are offered every other Wednesday with morning and evening sessions. Our HomeOwnership Orientation covers:
- Steps to Becoming a Homeowner
- Programs and services offered by Home HeadQuarters
- Homebuyer Education Course Overview
In partnership with our affiliate, Homsite, the HomeOwnership Center also offers classes in Cayuga County at 60 Clark St., Auburn, NY 13021.
Each year, more than 800 individuals attend HHQ's orientation sessions, after which they have an opportunity to sign up for HHQs' certified homebuyer education course. Pre-registration is required.
Both Home Buyer Education class size and instruction time are limited so we ask that you please do not bring children with you to classes or workshops. If you are unable to secure childcare for your scheduled class time, HomeOwnership Center staff will be happy to reschedule you to a class offered at another time. Thank you for your consideration.
HOMEBUYER EDUCATION COURSE
Our 8-hour Homebuyer Education course teaches the key aspects of purchasing a home including:
- Understanding Credit & Developing a Monthly Budgeting
- Mortgage Options & How to Avoid Predatory Lending
- Realtor Relationships & How to Make an Offer
- Purchase Contracts
- Homeowner’s Insurance
- What to Expect at Closing
- Responsibilities of Homeownership
Classes are offered during the day, evening and on weekends. Weekday courses are offered in four, 2-hour sessions and weekend courses are one, 8-hour session. Our trained counselors incorporate popular current issues, such as sub-prime and predatory lending, foreclosure, how to obtain free credit reports, energy saving tips, and other relevant topics into the classroom discussions.
You will also be required to meet one-on-one with a housing counselor who will help you review your credit report, create a spending plan, repair your credit, decrease debt, and establish savings to become mortgage ready.
After completing the 8-hour Homebuyer Education Course, first-time homebuyers can be eligible to apply for Down Payment & Closing Cost Assistance.
- $50/person or $75/couple for weekday classes
- $75/person and $100/couple for Saturday classes (The 8-hour Saturday classes are open to buyers who are pre-approved by their lender or those who are currently enrolled in a First Home Club.) Doors open at 8:30am for Saturday classes
In partnership with our affiliate, Homsite , the HomeOwnership Center is now also offering classes in Cayuga County at 60 Clark St., Auburn, NY 13021.
Pre-purchase counseling provides an opportunity for you to meet one-on-one with a trained housing counselor who will help you:
- Determine where you are on your path to homeownership
- Review and understand your credit report and score
- Create a monthly budget and set savings goals
- Work with your creditors to repair your credit and decrease your debt
- Calculate how much home you can afford
- Establish a personalized home buying plan
Post-purchase counseling is available for interested homeowners to help them understand how to navigate homeownership and how to address home maintenance needs, utility bills, budgeting for repairs, and avoiding predatory refinancing schemes that can put continued homeownership in jeopardy.
TO SCHEDULE A ONE-ON-ONE COUNSELING SESSION, PLEASE CALL (315) 474-1939 or email firstname.lastname@example.org TODAY.
ONLINE HOMEBUYER EDUCATION
If you can't make it to our in-person classes, eHome America is a great option to complete your education on your own schedule! eHome America was developed as a partnership between NeighborWorks America® and Community Ventures Corporation (CVC), a NeighborWorks® Chartered Member based in Lexington, Kentucky. All course content is 100% fully mobile and tablet friendly across all platforms.
This program was developed around the "Realizing the American Dream" educational text, created by Neighborworks® America. All items in this program are designed to enhance understanding of the homebuying process, from start to finish. Go to eHome America for more information…
To participate in eHome America is $99 per person.
In order to receive a certificate of completion from the HomeOwnership Center at Home HeadQuarters, you are required to attend a one-on-one counseling session after you have completed the online Homebuyer Education Course. To schedule your session, please call (315) 474-1939.